"Repetitive method name/signature" after 1.3.7 -> 1.4.0.M1 upgrade

"Repetitive method name/signature" after 1.3.7 -> 1.4.0.M1 upgrade

jondo_w
In order to use the latest build of Elastic Search (which has Groovy 1.8.0 bindings) I decided to try and upgrade our Grails app to 1.4.0.M1.

I have a BaseController that all my Controllers inherit from, and this controller has a number of domain-specific def userHasPermission(Xxxxx xxxx) overloaded methods. This has never been an issue, and has compiled and worked just fine since I first started using Grails with this project.

After upgrading to 1.4.0.M1 however, I now get a slew of:

"Repetitive method name/signature"

exceptions attempting to do a run-app. I've tried most of the usual things, grails clean, clearing my ivy2 cache, restarted IDEA (10.5) all to no avail. I suspect it may have something to do with Groovy 1.8.0 yet there are no recent posts either via Google or in the Grails mailing list that suggest this is a common issue. Which I expected it would be if it was something new in Groovy 1.8.0 that I wasn't aware of.

So does anybody have any ideas for me to try, suggestions regarding this one?

Thanks,
Darryl Pentz

Re: "Repetitive method name/signature" after 1.3.7 -> 1.4.0.M1 upgrade

smaldini
Hi Darryl,

Breaking change : all the public methods are now actions - can you try turning them into protected, private, static, or whatever. I'm thinking about adding an annotation and/or static property to exclude methods from the action scan.
Feel free to provide a reproducible sample, I will add a new test for that case.

Cheers

Stéphane MALDINI

Re: "Repetitive method name/signature" after 1.3.7 -> 1.4.0.M1 upgrade

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Having said that, the compiler shouldn't be blowing up with repetitive
method name / signature issues.

As the transformation that processes the method action checking if a
method already exists?

Cheers

http://www.springsource.com

Re: "Repetitive method name/signature" after 1.3.7 -> 1.4.0.M1 upgrade

jondo_w
Hi Stephane,

I changed the overloaded methods to 'protected' and it's compiling fine now. Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,