reusable/pluggable layouts

Nick Vaidyanathan
It strikes me that one thing that Grails has excellent support for separation of content and presentation, and using SiteMesh as a layout engine naturally seems to suggest the viability of  hot n' ready ez-bake recipe layouts. I think of something similar to WordPress Themes. Since I'm back-end.programmer (I like to work from behind...*giggity giggity goo*) and struggle to make "pretty" layouts and "nice CSS/HTML/JS templates", it'd be nice to have a directory of layouts where I could take my beautiful domain model and peruse a selection of beautifully done Grails layouts to make it beautiful for the end user too. But I've yet to find such a repository. Tweeting at Peter Ledbrook suggests this is a "good idea" kind of thing.

I propose the establishment of such a page on grails.org, and for us to start thinking about some conventions for layouts. I, for example, am currently integrating the HTML5 boilerplate into an application I'm writing and hacking the hell out of main.gsp (since that's all swapping layouts really would entail, generating 1...n .gsps and putting the resource files in conventionally driven places) to make it sing) I'll be happy to share the result if other developers are interested.

I think this goes back to plugin management too. I know some plugins (like the tabs one mentioned in Grails in Action) target this kind of UI stuff. Perhaps some people have already written plugins that add new layouts? But it doesn't seem like this should require the overhead of installing a new plugin to achieve...or at least, there should be a way to differentiate plugins so it's not up to hapless.programmer to figure out if the plugin adds new functionality or display.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Re: reusable/pluggable layouts

Joshua Kehn
On Jan 26, 2011, at 9:47 PM, Nick Vaidyanathan wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a great idea. Will we be able to host this sort of showcase on grails.org or would it need to be separately hosted?

Regards,

-Josh
____________________________________
Joshua Kehn | [hidden email]
http://joshuakehn.com

Re: reusable/pluggable layouts

Jason Davis
I think this would be great too. Css and a main.gsp?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Joshua Kehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2011, at 9:47 PM, Nick Vaidyanathan wrote:
>
> It strikes me that one thing that Grails has excellent support for
> separation of content and presentation, and using SiteMesh as a layout
> engine naturally seems to suggest the viability of  hot n' ready ez-bake
> recipe layouts. I think of something similar to WordPress Themes. Since I'm
> back-end.programmer (I like to work from behind...*giggity giggity goo*) and
> struggle to make "pretty" layouts and "nice CSS/HTML/JS templates", it'd be
> nice to have a directory of layouts where I could take my beautiful domain
> model and peruse a selection of beautifully done Grails layouts to make it
> beautiful for the end user too. But I've yet to find such a repository.
> Tweeting at Peter Ledbrook suggests this is a "good idea" kind of thing.
>
> I propose the establishment of such a page on grails.org, and for us to
> start thinking about some conventions for layouts. I, for example, am
> currently integrating the HTML5 boilerplate into an application I'm writing
> and hacking the hell out of main.gsp (since that's all swapping layouts
> really would entail, generating 1...n .gsps and putting the resource files
> in conventionally driven places) to make it sing) I'll be happy to share the
> result if other developers are interested.
>
> I think this goes back to plugin management too. I know some plugins (like
> the tabs one mentioned in Grails in Action) target this kind of UI stuff.
> Perhaps some people have already written plugins that add new layouts? But
> it doesn't seem like this should require the overhead of installing a new
> plugin to achieve...or at least, there should be a way to differentiate
> plugins so it's not up to hapless.programmer to figure out if the plugin
> adds new functionality or display.
>
> Does this seem like a good idea?
>
> Sounds like a great idea. Will we be able to host this sort of showcase on
> grails.org or would it need to be separately hosted?
> Regards,
> -Josh

Does this seem like a good idea?

Re: reusable/pluggable layouts

pledbrook
> But I've yet to find such a repository.
> Tweeting at Peter Ledbrook suggests this is a "good idea" kind of thing.

Maybe it was a bot ;)

> Sounds like a great idea. Will we be able to host this sort of showcase on
> grails.org or would it need to be separately hosted?

Since grails.org is an open source Grails application, someone could
contribute this to the site. It would probably make sense, since such
a section of the site could benefit from the ratings and any other
social features added to the web site as a whole.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: reusable/pluggable layouts

elvanor
Hello,

Our company could maybe contribute to this (eg create a collection of looks for Grails). Our tool (Kameleoon, which is built with Grails) was created to easily allow authoring of great looking designs. We have a new project in preparation that should allow us to realize those themes very quickly, so we could probably release them to the Grails community.

Jean-Noel