runtime exception 500, tomcat

tomislav101
Hi to all,

grails 1.1 app, when deployed to test env ( tomcat, ubuntu 8.04 ), works flawlessly, no errors, especially no "runtime 500" exceptions.

Dev environment ( locally, jetty ), also produces no errors, works fine.

But after my last deployement to the "prod to be" server i get a "runtime exception 500" when calling upon a very simple controller/action.

I checked catalina.out and found nothing that could point me to the origin of the error.
All i get is "Error 500. " in the browser.

I always do a "grails clean", before compiling the source.

Tomcat configuration is identical on test and prod machine.
My log4j is basically the default one, that comes in grails projects.

I have feeling that i'm missing something obvious..

Any good advice would be very appreciated.

thanks

Tomislav
Tomislav B.

Re: runtime exception 500, tomcat

elvanor
Hi.

Are you sure the app is properly deployed on Tomcat? Check the Tomcat logs. I am sure there is an error, for example DB configuration or something like that.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM, tomislav101 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It's correctly deployed, the war gets "unzipped" as soon as it enters webapps folder.

Okay, this is what i found in "localhost.2010-12-09.log" (i've tailed 40 rows) :

Dec 9, 2010 8:42:12 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve custom
SEVERE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/grails-errorhandler]
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot reset buffer after response has been committed
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.resetBuffer(Response.java:691)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.custom(StandardHostValve.java:409)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.status(StandardHostValve.java:343)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.throwable(StandardHostValve.java:287)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:142)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Tomislav B.

Re: runtime exception 500, tomcat

Jeremy Flowers

I increased the permgen to 256mb, but still the error persists.
Tomislav B.

Re: runtime exception 500, tomcat

Jeremy Flowers
Have you perhaps got some custom tags in your GSP page that are attempting to write after the page is closed? Sounds something like that. Looks like a you are closing the response stream. Something perhaps not getting deployed in your war in one of the environments.
gr8fanboy
Twitter
LinkedIn
Meetup
Skype : j.g.flowers

Re: runtime exception 500, tomcat

tomislav101
Jeremy Flowers wrote
Have you perhaps got some custom tags in your GSP page that are attempting to write after the page is closed? Sounds something like that. Looks like a you are closing the response stream. Something perhaps not getting deployed in your war in one of the environments.
No custom tags on that view.
It's a fairly simple "client registration" view on  a grails domain entity.
It goes "dead" before it enters the action in the registration controller.

Could be that something is not getting deployed correctly in the prod environment.

I'll try testing the prod env on another machine (with server url modifications).

thx for the help so far :)
Tomislav B.

Re: runtime exception 500, tomcat

tomislav101
Tested the prod environment on another machine, and had no problem's with the problematic "controller".

No "error 500", the action returned the model to the view, as expected.

The difference between the test and the prod tomcat is that on the on prod i have an expired certificate, but i don't know if  that could somehow influence on the behaviour of the application.
Tomislav B.

Re: runtime exception 500, tomcat

tomislav101
Solved, but  an ugly solution it was coz i hadn't figured out the root of the problem.

I compiled and warred the prod configuration on another machine (not a production machine), and then copied the war file to the prod machine.

Works now.
Tomislav B.