underscores in column names

Jonathan Carlson
I am wondering if there is a way to specify the column name for a field
in grails.

Or else I think I would be happy with having columns generated with
underscores between words instead of just scrunching everything together
as I think I saw happening.

Is this a feature already, or are there plans to provide some
flexibility here?

Thanks!  So far I'm pretty excited about Grails.

- Jonathan

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: underscores in column names

graemer
On 3/23/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to specify the column name for a field
> in grails.
No there isn't.

> Or else I think I would be happy with having columns generated with
> underscores between words instead of just scrunching everything together
> as I think I saw happening.
I'm with you on this one, but Grails uses the same convention as
Hibernate Annotations (it does the same thing)

> Is this a feature already, or are there plans to provide some
> flexibility here?
No there aren't plans to GORM is meant to be as simple as humanly possible :-)

> Thanks!  So far I'm pretty excited about Grails.
Excellent! :-)

> - Jonathan

> the system manager.
>
> Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: underscores in column names

Jonathan Carlson
> Is this a feature already, or are there plans to provide some
> flexibility here?
No there aren't plans to GORM is meant to be as simple as humanly
possible :-)

The simplicity is what excites me about Grails, but I'm hoping that as
it progresses, it will also allow us to do some more complex things.  I
can see our DBAs getting their "undies in a bunch" when my column names
don't have underscores in them.   My only other option then would be to
hand-code the database access portion and that doesn't give me "warm
fuzzy" feelings at all  (I can do it, but then I've lost the
time-savings of Grails).

The Grails motto should be "Making simple things simple and complex
things possible"  :-)

By the way, might your CMS be open-source?  :-)  I'm hoping to use
Grails for some non-profit work and a Grails CMS might be rather nice to
include.  (Granted, it shouldn't be too hard to do something custom
ourselves either :-)

Later,

Jon

>>> [hidden email] 2006-03-23 2:33:28 PM >>>
On 3/23/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to specify the column name for a
field
> in grails.
No there isn't.

> Or else I think I would be happy with having columns generated with
> underscores between words instead of just scrunching everything
together
> as I think I saw happening.
I'm with you on this one, but Grails uses the same convention as
Hibernate Annotations (it does the same thing)

> Is this a feature already, or are there plans to provide some
> flexibility here?
No there aren't plans to GORM is meant to be as simple as humanly
possible :-)

> Thanks!  So far I'm pretty excited about Grails.
Excellent! :-)

> - Jonathan

> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify
> the system manager.
>
> Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

RE: underscores in column names

Dierk König
> By the way, might your CMS be open-source?  :-)  I'm hoping to use
> Grails for some non-profit work and a Grails CMS might be rather nice to
> include.  (Granted, it shouldn't be too hard to do something custom
> ourselves either :-)

As a side note: I expect that Grails leads to more 'open' solutions
as we see in the Perl/Python/PHP/Ruby world, i.e. little webapps that
install easily (since J2EE), but are still fully adaptable since
you can change all of the application code without hassle.

Think of all the CMS, auction systems, online shops, groupware, Wikis,
scheduling, etc. software of this kind.

cheers
Mittie

RE: underscores in column names

Dierk König

If I remember correctly, there is a Hibernate feature where you can
register a naming mapper but I'm not sure whether that was for
table names only.
A grails app could easily register a Groovy 'camel-case-to-underscore'
mapper, then.

cheers
Mittie

Re: underscores in column names

Jonathan,

If you really need this feature, raise an issue and maybe we can
implement something like Dierk's suggestion

Graeme

> cheers
> Mittie

Re: underscores in column names

Jonathan Carlson
It's something I can wait for, but as soon as one of my little apps is
ready to go into our Oracle database I'd rather not call too much
attention to it with an off-standard word-separation scheme.  Part of my
success is dependent upon staying under the radar for a while!  :-)  So
I'll open an issue.

Thanks!

- Jonathan

>>> [hidden email] 2006-03-23 4:57:12 PM >>>

Stephan.Schmidt
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/api/org/hibernate/cfg/
ImprovedNamingStrategy.html

could be used

bye
-stephan

On Mar 24, 2006, at 20:12 Uhr, Jonathan Carlson wrote:

> It's something I can wait for, but as soon as one of my little apps is
> ready to go into our Oracle database I'd rather not call too much
> attention to it with an off-standard word-separation scheme.  Part
> of my
> success is dependent upon staying under the radar for a
> while!  :-)  So
> I'll open an issue.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Jonathan

> On 3/23/06, Dierk Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:

   Stephan Schmidt
   [hidden email]

   PRESS ON. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
   Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than
unsuccessful
   men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a
proverb.
   Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence
   and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge