wiki

12

wiki

Chav-2
Hi,
I am really excited about the project and the potential behind it. But it is really hard to find information on the current development. If you go to the codehouse site and look at the Grails Mailing lists the links their point to mail archives of 2005. When people go and look around to see activity(development or usser) they would get the impression that the project is abandoned.
Would you be able to correct that?

Re: wiki

The mailing list archive linked doesn't appear to be working, the
project is very much alive as can be established from the CVS commit
logs: http://cvs.groovy.codehaus.org/viewrep/groovy/groovy/modules/grails

We're aiming for the first release mid-march

On 10/02/06, chav (sent by Nabble.com) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am really excited about the project and the potential behind it. But it is
> really hard to find information on the current development. If you go to the
> codehouse site and look at the Grails Mailing lists  the links their point
> to mail archives of 2005. When people go and look around to see
> activity(development or usser) they would get the impression that the
> project is abandoned.
> Would you be able to correct that?
> Sent from the grails - user forum at Nabble.com.

update does not work

Burkard Endres

i have a problem in updating data by calling  the save method on my
domainclasses.
I had loadded the objects i want wo update.
Then i set some properties  with different values and then i called the
save method.
Do i have to set my objects to dirty or something?

thanks in advance.

Burkard

Re: update does not work

graemer
Burkard,

Do you have any validation errors occuring? Try:

user.save()
println user.hasErrors()

also see http://grails.codehaus.org/Validation

you can skip validation by doing:

user.save(false)

Graeme

On 12/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have a problem in updating data by calling  the save method on my
> domainclasses.
> I had loadded the objects i want wo update.
> Then i set some properties  with different values and then i called the
> save method.
> Do i have to set my objects to dirty or something?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Burkard

Re: update does not work

Burkard Endres
Hi Graeme,

no i have no validation at the moment and there are no errors.
There is no exception or something but the data is not changed in the
database.

Burkard

Graeme Rocher wrote:

> Burkard,
>
> Do you have any validation errors occuring? Try:
>
> user.save()
> println user.hasErrors()
>
> also see http://grails.codehaus.org/Validation
>
> you can skip validation by doing:
>
> user.save(false)
>
> Graeme
>
> On 12/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have a problem in updating data by calling  the save method on my
>> domainclasses.
>> I had loadded the objects i want wo update.
>> Then i set some properties  with different values and then i called the
>> save method.
>> Do i have to set my objects to dirty or something?
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> Burkard

Re: update does not work

graemer
Hmm ok I will have to experiment myself and get back to you.
Internally its using Spring's hibernate template and the saveOrUpdate
method so it should realise it is a persistent object that has been
modified and then just update instead.

Thanks for the report

Graeme

On 12/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>
> no i have no validation at the moment and there are no errors.
> There is no exception or something but the data is not changed in the
> database.
>
> Burkard
>

> Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > Burkard,
> >
> > Do you have any validation errors occuring? Try:
> >
> > user.save()
> > println user.hasErrors()
> >
> > also see http://grails.codehaus.org/Validation
> >
> > you can skip validation by doing:
> >
> > user.save(false)
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 12/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i have a problem in updating data by calling  the save method on my
> >> domainclasses.
> >> I had loadded the objects i want wo update.
> >> Then i set some properties  with different values and then i called the
> >> save method.
> >> Do i have to set my objects to dirty or something?
> >>
> >> thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Burkard

Re: update does not work

graemer
Burkard the problem should now be fixed in CVS head..I have also
upgraded Grails to use Hibernate 3.1 (it was still using 3.0)

thanks again for the report

> Hmm ok I will have to experiment myself and get back to you.
> Internally its using Spring's hibernate template and the saveOrUpdate
> method so it should realise it is a persistent object that has been
> modified and then just update instead.
>
> Thanks for the report
>
> Graeme
>
> On 12/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Graeme,
> >
> > no i have no validation at the moment and there are no errors.
> > There is no exception or something but the data is not changed in the
> > database.
> >
> > Burkard
> >

> > Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > > Burkard,
> > >
> > > Do you have any validation errors occuring? Try:
> > >
> > > user.save()
> > > println user.hasErrors()
> > >
> > > also see http://grails.codehaus.org/Validation
> > >
> > > you can skip validation by doing:
> > >
> > > user.save(false)
> > >
> > > Graeme

Re: update does not work

Burkard Endres
Hi Grame,

i think it was my fault. i did try to call the save method from a
controller.
when i do it and the object is new it works.
but with update i doesnt work.
I introduced a Service and now it is working fine even with the previous
version of SavePersistentMethod.

thanks for your help

Burkard

Graeme Rocher wrote:

> Burkard the problem should now be fixed in CVS head..I have also
> upgraded Grails to use Hibernate 3.1 (it was still using 3.0)
>
> thanks again for the report
>
> Graeme
>
> On 12/02/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hmm ok I will have to experiment myself and get back to you.
>> Internally its using Spring's hibernate template and the saveOrUpdate
>> method so it should realise it is a persistent object that has been
>> modified and then just update instead.
>>
>> Thanks for the report
>>
>> Graeme
>>
>> On 12/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Graeme,
>>>
>>> no i have no validation at the moment and there are no errors.
>>> There is no exception or something but the data is not changed in the
>>> database.
>>>
>>> Burkard

Re: update does not work

graemer
Hi Burkard,

It wasn't your fault I promise ;-) There was a bug where if you
retrieved an instance via one of the finder methods and then attempted
to update it it thought the object was still in session and I needed
to force a flush in order to get it to work.

but i'm glad you found a solution :-)

Graeme

On 14/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Grame,
>
> i think it was my fault. i did try to call the save method from a
> controller.
> when i do it and the object is new it works.
> but with update i doesnt work.
> I introduced a Service and now it is working fine even with the previous
> version of SavePersistentMethod.
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Burkard
>
> Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > Burkard the problem should now be fixed in CVS head..I have also
> > upgraded Grails to use Hibernate 3.1 (it was still using 3.0)
> >
> > thanks again for the report
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 12/02/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hmm ok I will have to experiment myself and get back to you.
> >> Internally its using Spring's hibernate template and the saveOrUpdate
> >> method so it should realise it is a persistent object that has been
> >> modified and then just update instead.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the report
> >>
> >> Graeme

extending class defined in groovy

Burkard Endres
Hi,

i dont know if i shouldnt ask this on a groovy mailinglist, but is it
possible to create
a class in groovy or grails that extends annother class wich was defined
in groovy too?
the only way i get it work was to precompile it, but for domainclasses
it would be nice to define
some base properties in a parentclass and to extend it in other classes.

any ideas?

burkard

Re: extending class defined in groovy

graemer
On 14/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i dont know if i shouldnt ask this on a groovy mailinglist, but is it
> possible to create
> a class in groovy or grails that extends annother class wich was defined
> in groovy too?
> the only way i get it work was to precompile it, but for domainclasses
> it would be nice to define
> some base properties in a parentclass and to extend it in other classes.

Hmm this should work and as you said is one for the Groovy mailing
list as one of the points of using dynamic properties in Grails was so
you could sub class.

By the look of the recent posts on the groovy mailing list though
there seems to be some issues with loading parent classes at the
moment. I will investigate further

But please raise your issue with the groovy mailing list too

Graeme

> any ideas?
>
> burkard

Re: extending class defined in groovy

Burkard Endres
ok but i had some problems for example to externalize version and id of
a domainclass.
and if i see the check in GrailsClassutils i think it could not work,
because a class that extends a class
that has some field id and the extending class does not it will throw a
no such field exception
on the call to getDelcaredField.

/**
     * <p>Returns true if the specified class is a domain class. In
Grails a domain class
     * is any class that has "id" and "version" properties</p>
     *
     * @param clazz The class to check
     * @return A boolean value
     */
    public static boolean isDomainClass( Class clazz ) {
        try {
            // make sure the identify and version field exist
            clazz.getDeclaredField( GrailsDomainClassProperty.IDENTITY );
            clazz.getDeclaredField( GrailsDomainClassProperty.VERSION );
            // and its not a closure
            if(Closure.class.isAssignableFrom(clazz)) {
                return false;
            }
            // passes all conditions return true
            return true;
        } catch (SecurityException e) {
            return false;
        } catch (NoSuchFieldException e) {
            return false;

Graeme Rocher wrote:

> On 14/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i dont know if i shouldnt ask this on a groovy mailinglist, but is it
>> possible to create
>> a class in groovy or grails that extends annother class wich was defined
>> in groovy too?
>> the only way i get it work was to precompile it, but for domainclasses
>> it would be nice to define
>> some base properties in a parentclass and to extend it in other classes.
>>

> Hmm this should work and as you said is one for the Groovy mailing
> list as one of the points of using dynamic properties in Grails was so
> you could sub class.
>
> By the look of the recent posts on the groovy mailing list though
> there seems to be some issues with loading parent classes at the
> moment. I will investigate further
>
> But please raise your issue with the groovy mailing list too
>
> Graeme
>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> burkard

Re: extending class defined in groovy

graemer
On 14/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok but i had some problems for example to externalize version and id of
> a domainclass.
> and if i see the check in GrailsClassutils i think it could not work,
> because a class that extends a class
> that has some field id and the extending class does not it will throw a
> no such field exception
> on the call to getDelcaredField.

I'm not sure this is a problem? All it means is that you can't
specifiy the id and version properties in your base class which is IMO
a good thing.

If you want to change the alghorythm to establish the id and version
property from the superclass if necessary feel free :-)

Graeme

> /**
>      * <p>Returns true if the specified class is a domain class. In
> Grails a domain class
>      * is any class that has "id" and "version" properties</p>
>      *
>      * @param clazz The class to check
>      * @return A boolean value
>      */
>     public static boolean isDomainClass( Class clazz ) {
>         try {
>             // make sure the identify and version field exist
>             clazz.getDeclaredField( GrailsDomainClassProperty.IDENTITY );
>             clazz.getDeclaredField( GrailsDomainClassProperty.VERSION );
>             // and its not a closure
>             if(Closure.class.isAssignableFrom(clazz)) {
>                 return false;
>             }
>             // passes all conditions return true
>             return true;
>         } catch (SecurityException e) {
>             return false;
>         } catch (NoSuchFieldException e) {
>             return false;
>         }
>     }
>
> Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > On 14/02/06, Burkard Endres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i dont know if i shouldnt ask this on a groovy mailinglist, but is it
> >> possible to create
> >> a class in groovy or grails that extends annother class wich was defined
> >> in groovy too?
> >> the only way i get it work was to precompile it, but for domainclasses
> >> it would be nice to define
> >> some base properties in a parentclass and to extend it in other classes.
> >>

> > Hmm this should work and as you said is one for the Groovy mailing
> > list as one of the points of using dynamic properties in Grails was so
> > you could sub class.
> >
> > By the look of the recent posts on the groovy mailing list though
> > there seems to be some issues with loading parent classes at the
> > moment. I will investigate further
> >
> > But please raise your issue with the groovy mailing list too
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> >> any ideas?
> >>
> >> burkard

Re: wiki

Chav-2
Hi Graeme,

Chav

Re: wiki

graemer
Chav,

I understand your pain ;-) The Groovy project manager Guillaume
LaForge is trying to resolve this issue as I am writing this

Graeme

On 15/02/06, chav <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>
> would someone be able to update the links on
> http://grails.codehaus.org/Mailing+lists then. A lot of people are comming
> with questions and not find the groups. I had to do a google search to find
> this mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
> Chav
> Sent from the grails - user forum at Nabble.com.

Re: wiki

Guillaume Laforge-2
Btw, a workaround we used on the Groovy project, was finally to use
Gname's mailing-list archives system, instead of the crappy Codehaus
alternative.
So perhaps we should do that?
Particularly, the search feature of Gname are excellent!

Guillaume

> Chav,
>
> I understand your pain ;-) The Groovy project manager Guillaume
> LaForge is trying to resolve this issue as I am writing this
>
> Graeme
>
> On 15/02/06, chav <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Graeme,
> >
> > would someone be able to update the links on
> > http://grails.codehaus.org/Mailing+lists then. A lot of people are comming
> > with questions and not find the groups. I had to do a google search to find
> > this mailing list.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chav
> > --
> > Sent from the grails - user forum at Nabble.com.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: wiki

graemer
Yes we could just change the link no?

Graeme

On 16/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Btw, a workaround we used on the Groovy project, was finally to use
> Gname's mailing-list archives system, instead of the crappy Codehaus
> alternative.
> So perhaps we should do that?
> Particularly, the search feature of Gname are excellent!
>
> Guillaume
>
> On 2/16/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Chav,
> >
> > I understand your pain ;-) The Groovy project manager Guillaume
> > LaForge is trying to resolve this issue as I am writing this
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 15/02/06, chav <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Graeme,
> > >
> > > would someone be able to update the links on
> > > http://grails.codehaus.org/Mailing+lists then. A lot of people are comming
> > > with questions and not find the groups. I had to do a google search to find
> > > this mailing list.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chav
> > > --
> > > Sent from the grails - user forum at Nabble.com.
> > >

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: wiki

Guillaume Laforge-2
Exactly!
But you certainly have to first register the lists in Gname.

Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: wiki

Guillaume Alleon
Is Grails working on WinXP + cygwin, I have some message reporting wrong
paths.
cheers
tog

Guillaume Laforge a écrit :

> Exactly!
> But you certainly have to first register the lists in Gname.
>
> On 2/16/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes we could just change the link no?
>>
>> Graeme
>>
>> On 16/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Btw, a workaround we used on the Groovy project, was finally to use
>>> Gname's mailing-list archives system, instead of the crappy Codehaus
>>> alternative.
>>> So perhaps we should do that?
>>> Particularly, the search feature of Gname are excellent!
>>>
>>> Guillaume

>>> --
>>> Guillaume Laforge
>>> Groovy Project Manager
>>> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy
>>>

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

--
Guillaume ALLEON
http://guillaume.alleon.free.fr/

Re: wiki

graemer
Can you post the message tog? I do have cygwin and will try it myself too